As women, we can all sit around and talk about our favorite drugstore and "high" end beauty products for hours...am I right or am I right? But when it comes down to it, some of those expensive splurges you think are going to be AMAZING end up being duds that could easily be replaced or out-shined by products that are a fraction of the cost.
Being a Beauty "Guru" (I literally hate saying that word- that's just what YT considers us to be *fancy pants*) on YouTube, has seriously changed (and quite possibly screwed) my perspective on makeup. Before I started watching tutorials AND making them, I would have NEVER paid what I do on makeup now days ( I blame EmilyNoel83 for a lot of my unjustified makeup splurges- check her out if you haven't...she's my obsession). But WAIT, I'm not saying that's a bad thing because some of my favorite products have came from YT recommendations. My point is that you can watch someone use the most expensive or cheapest product out there and while it may look fabulous on them, not all products work the same for everyone.
So, with that being said...I'm hoping to start one of my first series on my blog where I'll list higher end beauty products and similar dupes for you to try before you make the actual plunge and purchase the expensive product. I haven't decided if I want to do the "Dupe Series" (what I'm calling it for now) by brand or just categories (such as lips, eyes, face etc.) What do ya'll think? Feel free to leave me some products your wanting to find dupes for!
Today I wanted to talk about E.L.F.
We've all heard about it and chances are you own at least 1 E.L.F. product. There's a reason this brand is so well known...IT'S DIRT CHEAP. Although most of their products aren't paraben free, neither are a lot of higher end brands. E.L.F. is literally one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to makeup and how ironic that it'd be the cheapest. I'm such a fan of their products because when it comes to trying them, it's always a win-win situation. If you don't like the product you bought, big deal, chances are it was only $1-$6 and if you do like it, then you will have no problem stocking up on extras due to the extremely low cost.
E.L.F. has seriously done such a good job at replicating high end products that it's almost hysterical to see. I can see a part 2 of E.L.F. dupes coming in the future because I couldn't fit half of them into this set. Enjoy!
*All products I mention work differently for everyone. Just because my experience wasn't the best, doesn't mean yours won't awesome.
E.L.F. Brow Kit vs. Anastasia Brow Duo:
- Okay, my eye brows were immediately doomed at birth. I've NEVER had even brows, which I hate. I've always struggled to find a good brow pen, pencil, kit etc. that will work wonders for me. So far, the E.L.F. brow kit is the most natural and easiest brow contraption I've found. Some of you may remember seeing my Anastasia Brow Wiz tutorial quite a few months ago...I really tried to like it but it just didn't work for me, which was a shame because I dropped around $27 for it...boo.
NARS Orgasm & Laguna Blush/Bronzer Duo vs. E.L.F. St. Lucia Blush/Bronzer Duo:
- This is one of the E.L.F. products which falls under the "almost identical" dupe. I think the E.L.F St. Lucia and NARS Duo are notorious for being similar (at least in YouTube beauty land). I will say that I know NARS "Orgasm" blush is slightly more pigmented than the E.L.F. blush in the duo, but hey, who's really paying that much attention? E.L.F. has even replicated the packaging on their Studio blushes and bronzers to be similar to NARS.
Lush Lip Scrub vs. E.L.F. Lip Exfoliator:
- Really quickly, I want to make a desperate cry out that I have NEVER tried Lush. I've always wanted to but unfortunately there's none in Tennessee (to my knowledge). So, in this case, I'm not saying which is better in my opinion. I love the E.L.F. Lip Exfoliator, it's literally the cutest thing ever and tastes AMAZING. I feel like the E.L.F. Lip Exfoliator is slightly more handy than the Lush Lip Scrub, mainly because you have to use your fingers to apply the Lush scrub AND take it off after you're done exfoliating. The E.L.F exfoliator is designed like a lipstick, only it consists of a clear conditioning balm with exfoliating sugar crystals inside that work to remove dead skin off of the lips. I love it!
E.L.F. Angled Blush Brush vs. MAC Angled Contour:
- Angled brushes....they can be used for so many things whether it's your blush, bronzer, or highlighter, the angled brush steals the show. In my opinion, actual foundation brushes and smaller detailing brushes are when you may want to start looking into professional quality. BUT the E.L.F. Angled Blush Brush works literally just as good as any higher end angled brush, period.
NARS Chelsea Girls Lip Lacquer vs. E.L.F. Conditioning Lip Balm in "Nice & Natural":
- I've seriously lusted over the NARS Lip Lacquers every time I go to Sephora. I just can't justify throwing down $25 for a pot of lip balm (I know, I lust over something and then make it sound completely crappy) The color I'm always drawn to is "Chelsea Girls" which is the most popular out of the collection. But seriously though, here comes E.L.F. again to whisper in my ear and say "Hey, we have really freaking similar lip balms IN POTS for $3" Soooo I've purchased three of the E.L.F. lip balms. "Nice and Natural" is VERY similar to NARS "Chelsea Girls", it's a little less pink but it'll do until I break one day and just give into the little NARS devil on my shoulder.
I hope you guys liked this post! Leave me your suggestions over some products you'd like to see duped! Thanks for reading!
Until next time...
*This post was not sponsored. E.L.F. knows nothing about my whereabouts or little beauty blog ;)